Daniel A. Lewis
Family Law Attorney & NC DRC Family Financial Mediator
“As an experienced family law attorney, I represent clients on a broad range of matters including divorce, child custody and child support, alimony, equitable distribution of property, and domestic violence. As a private and court-appointed mediator, I act as a neutral third party to assist families in resolving disputes outside the courtroom.
I chose a career in family law to make a positive difference in people’s lives. I understand the distress and anxiety caused by family law issues and the impact of separation and divorce on families and children. My goal is to work closely with my clients to resolve their issues so that they and their families can move forward with their lives. An out of court resolution is most often in the client’s best interest, especially where children are involved, because the parties have more control in the outcome and a settlement can reduce conflict. However, some cases cannot be resolved amicably and must be litigated. My practice philosophy is to try to achieve resolution through settlement where possible, but to be prepared to litigate when necessary.
Every divorce, like every family, is different. The process of redefining your family can be difficult, both emotionally and practically. While situations and goals differ for each person, it is important to me that every client be able to make informed decisions about his or her case. I explain the legal options available to resolve family law issues, which may include litigation, arbitration, mediation, negotiation or the Collaborative Law process. Based on the circumstances and after discussion with the client, I develop a customized strategy for each matter.
Throughout the process, my clients always have an open line of communication with me. I do my best to ensure they are well informed about, and prepared for, every step along the way.”
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America©for Family Law, 2019 and 2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyers “Rising Star,” 2015 and 2016
- Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award, 2015 and 2016
- North Carolina Lawyers Weekly Leaders in the Law Award, 2015
- North Carolina Bar Association: Member
- Mecklenburg County Bar: Member, General Enrollment and Family Law Section
- Charlotte Collaborative Divorce Professionals: Member, 2012-present; Executive Committee Member (2013-2016); Program Co-chair (2012-2013)
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals: Member
- Safe Alliance, Legal Representation Project: Volunteer Attorney, 2013-present
- Clayworks: Board of Directors, May 2015-present; Secretary, May 2015-September 2016
- Arts & Science Council: Cultural Leadership Training (CLT) Program, Class of 2014-2015
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation: 2014 STANDOUT honoree
- Charlotte Chamber of Commerce: Member
- Mecklenburg County Women’s Commission: Family Law Clinic Guest Lecturer, 2013-present
- “Best Practices for Family and Child Therapists and How to Respond to Subpoenas” – Multicultural Play Therapy Center Conference, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, June 28, 2017