Paul A. DeJesse, Jr.
Partner & Board Certified Specialist in Family Law
JD, Touro Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center, 1995
BA, Lehigh University, 1991
North Carolina, 2006
New York, 1996 (inactive)
- Practice Philosophy
- Memberships & Affiliations
- Speaking Engagements & Publications
- CLE Planning
“I chose the field of matrimonial and family law so I could make a direct and positive impact on people’s lives. I wanted to be able to help people and provide a service that would assist and guide them during a very difficult time.
Although the practice of matrimonial law can be very intense, it can also be very satisfying and rewarding. When a client comes in for an initial consultation, they are usually at an emotional low point in their lives. Clients need to know that they have an attorney who will not only take the time to listen to their problems but who will also understand their needs. This can only be accomplished through proper preparation and a willingness to sweat the details. I can never guarantee a client any result but what I will promise is that they will be properly prepared.
I believe that the wisest choice is for a couple to amicably resolve their matrimonial difficulties. However, in the event that one side is unreasonable and does not negotiate in ‘good faith,’ you need an attorney who is also going to adequately prepare you for court.”
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow, 2020
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America©for Family Law, 2019 and 2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2014-2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV®Preeminent Peer Review Rating, 2013-2020
- Selected by Safe Alliance as recipient of the 2019 Commitment to Justice Award
- Selected as a 2018 and 2019 Elite Lawyer of the South by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected by The National Advocates as Top 100 attorneys in the State of North Carolina, 2017 and 2018
- Business North Carolina magazine’s Legal Elite in Family Law, 2013 and 2015
- Accepted as a Member of the New York Family Law American Inn of Court, 2005
- Named one of the Ten Leaders in Matrimonial and Divorce Law on Long Island, NY, Age 45 and Under, 2004/2005
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice:
- Family Law Section Chair, 2019-2020 Second Term
- Family Law Section Chair, 2018-2019 First Term
- Family Law Section Vice Chair, July 2017-June 2018
- Diversity and Inclusion Task Force, 2017-2018 Term
- The National Advocates: Top 100 Lawyers, Executive Committee, 2017 and 2019
- North Carolina Bar Association: Member, Family Law Section
- Mecklenburg County Bar: Member, Family Law Section
- Mecklenburg County Domestic Court Committee: Former Member
- Justice Bobbitt Inn of Court: Member
- Mecklenburg County Women’s Commission: Family Law Clinic Guest Lecturer
- Suffolk County Bar Association: Former member of the Matrimonial and Family Law Committee
- Nassau County Bar Association: Former member of the Family Court Committee
- Men For Change: Former Committee Member
- Business Leaders of Charlotte: Member
- Speaker: “Divisible Property and Divisible Debt”, at Family Law Intensive Seminar (Complex Emerging Issues in Family Law) held on November 14, 2019 in Charlotte, North Carolina and on January 30, 2020 in Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina. Sponsored by the North Carolina Bar Association Family Law Section.
- Speaker: “Show me the E Money! Cryptocurrency as an Asset in Divorce”, at the 2019 North Carolina Family Law Specialist Conference in Kiawah, South Carolina.
- Author: “How to Protect Your Client from a Biased Child Custody Evaluation Report”, published in Trial Briefs Magazine, 2019. Cited at the 2019 National AAML-AFCC Conference on “Advanced Issues in Child Custody: Evaluation, Litigation and Settlement”, breakout session “Attacking the Unfavorable Child Custody Evaluation”, San Diego, California.
- Speaker: “Depositions – Discovery Toolbox for the Family Law Litigator”, February 21, 2019, Raleigh, North Carolina. Sponsored by North Carolina Advocates for Justice.
- Speaker at Family Law Specialization Exam Review “Equitable Distribution”, Raleigh, N.C., September 7, 2018. Sponsored by North Carolina Advocates for Justice.
- Speaker: “How and when to conduct Direct and Cross-Examination of Mental Health Experts in Child Custody Cases”, at the 2018 National Trial Lawyers Summit Conference in Miami, Florida.
- Speaker: “Best Practices in Preparing for a Custody Hearing”, February 13, 2018. Sponsored by the Mecklenburg County Bar Family Law Section.
- Speaker: “Valuing and Dividing Assets”, February 5, 2018. Sponsored by National Business Institute.
- Speaker: “Drafting Enforceable Terms in Consent Orders and Agreements,” Charlotte, NC, August 4, 2017. Sponsored by National Business Institute.
- Speaker: “Child Custody and Visitation Rights,” Asheville, N.C., August 1, 2017.
- Speaker: “Construction and Effects of Premarital Agreements and Separation Agreements,” Cary, N.C., November 4, 2016. Sponsored by the North Carolina Bar Association Foundation.
- Speaker: Advanced Family Law Seminar, “Navigating Complex Asset Cases” and “Ethics,” Charlotte, N.C., August 2016.
- Speaker: “What to expect at your first custody hearing and the best evidence to put on during a custody trial/hearing,” Charlotte, N.C., February 9, 2016. Sponsored by the Mecklenburg County Bar Family Law Section.
- Appeared on News 14 television program “In Depth with Rob Boisvert” regarding the Safe Alliance Legal Representation Project (LRP). LRP provides free legal representation to domestic violence and sexual assault victims seeking protective orders. March 25, 2014.
- Speaker: “Family & Matrimonial Law in the 21st Century: Practicing with Humanity,” LawReviewCLE, March 28, 2013
- Mecklenburg County Women’s Commission, Family Law Clinic Guest Lecturer, 2006-present
- Panelist: Participated in a domestic violence panel discussion for the TV series “A Healthier Charlotte,” May 2012
- Speaker: “North Carolina Bar Association Intensive Equitable Distribution Seminar,” Greensboro, N.C. February 5, 2010
- Speaker: “Alimony 101,” American Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Seminar, October 5, 2007
- Speaker: “Child Custody Overview,” Charlotte Christian School, Charlotte, North Carolina, January 11, 2007
- Speaker: “Separation, Property Settlement and Alimony Agreements,” 2004, Hauppauge, New York, sponsored by the Suffolk County Bar Association
- Suffolk Academy of Law, Adjunct Faculty, 2003/2004
- Participated in matrimonial trial practice demonstrations at the Suffolk County Academy of Law
- 2019 Program Chair: North Carolina Family Law Specialists Exam CLE Review, Cary, North Carolina
- 2019 Program Co-Chair: North Carolina Family Law Specialist Conference, Kiawah, South Carolina
- 2019 Program Co-Chair: “Discovery Toolbox for the Family Law Litigator”, Raleigh, North Carolina
- 2018 Program Co-Chair: North Carolina Family Law Specialists Exam CLE Review, Raleigh, North Carolina
- 2017 Program Moderator for Judicial Panel: “As Family Court Judges See It: Top Mistakes Attorneys Make in Litigating Divorce”, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Board Certified Specialist in Family Law since 2009
- Former partner with the AV rated firm Tabat, Cohen & Blum, LLP (West Islip, NY) handling all aspects of complex matrimonial and family law litigation
- Successfully argued appeals before the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York in and for the Second Judicial Department