In North Carolina, citizens have the right to obtain a civil no contact order, also called a 50C Order.  

In some family law cases, a party can have a no contact order issued by a Judge. Not everyone is able to seek this type of order. This type of protection is for victims who do not have a personal relationship with the offender. It also includes former spouses of current dating partners. For example, this could be a situation where an individual is dating someone with a jealous ex boyfriend, girlfriend or spouse. This Order can be put in place to prevent the defendant from having any contact whatsoever with the alleged victim. This tool is used to assist the victim with having protections in place so that the defendant is unable to call, text, email, or have anyone else contact the plaintiff on the defendant’s behalf. In addition to having no electronic communication, the defendant is ordered to not have any in person contact as well as having to stay a minimum number of feet away from the victim’s residence, employment, and any known areas that they frequent.  

While this no contact order is in place, the prohibitions on contact will remain in effect regardless of who initiates the contact. To provide an example, if the husband were to get a no contact order on his ex-wife and husband reaches out to his ex-wife while the order is in place, the ex-wife could still face consequences for violating the order if she responds to the ex-husband’s contact. Until the Court lifts the Order and it is no longer in place, the no contact rules remain in place. It is important to know and understand the effects of a no contact order so that you do not unintentionally violate any of its terms.  

What happens if you violate a no contact order? Violating a no contact order is considered a crime. If someone violates a no contact order there can be serious consequences including, but not limited to, jail time, payment of fines, or the loss of certain civil rights.  

Are you dealing with someone where you feel a no contact order could be beneficial to you? Are you facing a no contact order where you need assistance or guidance on what to do and how to ensure you are abiding by the rules of that order? Contact an experienced attorney at Hatcher Law Group today to go through your options and see what we can do to assist you in your situation.

If you or someone you know may have a matter where any of the above-mentioned situations are involved, contact Hatcher Law Group for a consultation with an experienced family law attorney to understand your rights and options moving forward.